This is the Project Carbon™ series of our 68RFE rebuild kit lineup. The 68RFE is easily one of the most problematic and untrustworthy transmissions that currently plagues the diesel truck world. It is a promising source of overdrive failure, broken input shafts and crossleaking valve bodies to say the very least. We even did a full-length technical publication on the 68RFE, it’s problems and it’s solutions. You can read more here:
>>> Transmissions 101: 68RFE Transmission • Problems & Solutions
Fortunately, we have gone back to the drawing board in the interest of creating a product where the priorities of the unit are power capability, durability and performance. The result was our responsive and exciting Competition 68RFE Transmission.
Note: This is a rebuild kit, not a complete transmission. If you would like a complete transmission with our 2 Year / Unlimited Mile warranty, see our durable Project Carbon™ 68RFE Transmission here:
>>> Project Carbon™ 68RFE w/ Torque Converter (1000HP)
This unit is best for:
- Street Racing/Competing
- Sled Pulling/Drag Racing
- Moderate to Ultra-High Power Increases
- Fast Shifting and Responsive Clutch Materials
- Freeway Pulls/Boost Launches
- Very Firm but Predictable Shifts
Our 10-Step Remanufacturing Process:
- The first step in our remanufacturing process is a complete and total disassembly and inspection of all internal components, including the torque converter, geartrain, hydraulics, clutches and/or electronics.
- All wear components, such as bushings, bearings, washers, gaskets, seals, O-Rings, clutches, steels and more, are thrown away regardless of their health or usability, even if brand new.
- An intense cleaning session using the highest quality cleaning agents available to modern manufacturing ensues, steam tanking and hand cleaning these parts for up to 8 hours.
- We begin our inspection of the few remaining core hard parts to ensure that they are 100% re-usable, unworn and undamaged. Should a core part (such as a case) be irreparably deficient or unusable, it is properly discarded and replaced with a brand new one.
- At this point, the assembly process begins. All components consistent with your build sheet are staged and the proper machining, assembly and calibration of the product begins.
- Upon completion of all assembly, applicable components are individually tested on their respective machinery to ensure proper function and integrity, specifically hydraulics and electronics.
- At this point, final assembly begins. All pre-assembled internal components are then completed within the case, tested and forwarded to quality assurance.
- Prior to leaving our facility, a separate team member then inspects the final product, ensuring that the product matched the build sheet, and finishing touches like sensors or pan bolts are retorqued to assure future success for our product.
- At this point, the completed transmission is crated, the logistics of delivering your product are coordinated, and the item will proceed to shipping to prepare for embark to it’s new home.
- Upon completion of the 9 previous steps, you will receive notification of the product’s completion, passage of our quality control measures, and tracking information once applicable!
Project Carbon™ 68RFE Build Specifications:
- Billet Lockup Apply Piston
- Custom Clutch and Steel Stack-Ups w/ Added Clutches
- Billet OD/Reverse Plate
- Billet Turbine Hub
- Billet CNC Machined Stator
- Billet Torque Converter Cover
- Billet Triple Disk Lockup Mechanism
- Custom 2nd Clutch Apply Piston
- Molded Apply Piston Kit
- Custom Double-Sided Converter Clutch
- Billet Accumulator Piston Set
- Recalibrated Accumulator Spring Set
- Self Cleaning Low/Reverse Switch Valve
- Steel CNC Ground Solenoid Switch Valve
- Precision Machined SSV Bore
- Precision Flattened Valve Body Mating Surfaces
- Precision Flattened Oil Pump Mating Surfaces
- Bonded Steel Laser-Cut Separator Plate w/ Custom Oil Circuitry
- Steel Accumulator Girdle
- Extra Thick OD Snapring Update
- Central Pump Gear Bushing
- Billet Torque Converter Limit Valve Sleeve
- Polished Pump Separator Plate
- Recalibrated Pump Accumulator Piston Springs
- Next Gen Proprietary Drainback Circuit Modification
- 70% Added Friction Area in OD
- 66% Added Friction Area in 2C
- 66% Added Friction Area in 4C
- Custom High Performance Low/Reverse Clutches
- Custom High Performance Reverse Clutches
- Custom High Performance Underdrive Clutches
- Extra Deep Transmission Pan
- OEM Torrington Roller Bearings
- (2) OEM Speed Sensors
- OEM Pressure Transducer
- OEM Solenoid Pack
- OEM Paper/Rubber Gasket & Seals
- Billet Project Carbon™ Sprag Assembly
- Billet UD/OD Piston
- Billet Reverse Backing Plate
- Billet Input Clutch Retainer
- Billet OD/Reverse Housing
- Billet Maraging Steel Input Shaft
- Billet 20-Clutch OD Hub
- Billet SFI Approved Flexplate
- Billet Input Clutch Hub
- Billet Center Support
- Precision Machined Reverse Hub
- Billet Project Carbon™ Pump Half
- OEM Sump Filter
- Billet Spin-On Filter Adapter
- OEM Spin-On Filter
Despite it’s many shortcomings, the 68RFE does have the ability to succeed and prosper. We believe that our Competition 68RFE transmission is the best option available for someone who seeks a high performance, durable and fast shifting 68RFE transmission. For more assistance, ask one of our experts!