This is our recently revamped and updated “Xtreme Tow” series of our 68RFE transmission lineup; designed for those who prioritize longevity and durability. The 68RFE is easily one of the most problematic and untrustworthy transmissions that currently plagues the diesel truck world. It is a promising source of overdrive failure, broken input shafts and crossleaking valve bodies to say the very least. We even did a full-length technical publication on the 68RFE, it’s problems and it’s solutions. You can read more here:
>>> Transmissions 101: 68RFE Transmission • Problems & Solutions
Fortunately, we have gone back to the drawing board in the interest of creating a product where the priorities of longevity, practicality and economy were all equal. The result was our capable and versatile “Xtreme Tow” 68RFE Transmission.
Note: This is a complete transmission, not a rebuild kit. If you would like to build this transmission at home yourself, or have a transmission shop that you’d like to have build your transmission, you can use our rebuild kit version of this transmission. You can see the “Xtreme Tow” 68RFE Rebuild Kit here:
>>> Xtreme Tow 68RFE w/ Torque Converter (Rebuild Kit - 650HP)
What’s new with the Xtreme Tow:
As we scale in our pursuit to include the diverse needs of all of our customers in our transmission lineup, we introduced the well tested and calculated Xtreme Tow Package. The Xtreme Tow Package is a compilation of parts necessary for clients who intend to tow very heavy or very frequently. This package is the product of extensive study into what components fail most frequently from the factory in applications where the consumer towed exclusively, or towed extremely heavily. This is an exemplary add-on package for those who are not necessarily seeking added power beyond the SuperStock’s 600HP threshold of success, but will be towing frequently with this transmission.
This package will consist of three critical components. The first is our Formula One Sprag Assembly, allowing you to take off from stops safely with extreme amounts of weight behind you. The second is a cryogenically treated OD clutch hub, a common hard part failure seen in extreme towing applications that often totals the transmission completely when broken. Lastly, is a Steel SFI Approved Flexplate standard, also thickened to augment reinforcement in critical areas. Conjunctively, this team of hand-picked components will work together to ensure the safest execution of virtually any towing application.
This unit is best for:
- Daily Driving
- Stock to Moderate Power Increases
- Long-Lasting Clutch Materials
- Freeway Pulls/Moving Launches
- Firm but Predictable Shifts
Our 10-Step Transmission Remanufacturing Process:
- The first step in our remanufacturing process is a complete and total disassembly and inspection of all internal components, including the torque converter, geartrain, hydraulics, clutches and/or electronics.
- All wear components, such as bushings, bearings, washers, gaskets, seals, O-Rings, clutches, steels and more, are thrown away regardless of their health or usability, even if brand new.
- An intense cleaning session using the highest quality cleaning agents available to modern manufacturing ensues, steam tanking and hand cleaning these parts for up to 8 hours.
- We begin our inspection of the few remaining core hard parts to ensure that they are 100% re-usable, unworn and undamaged. Should a core part (such as a case) be irreparably deficient or unusable, it is properly discarded and replaced with a brand new one.
- At this point, the assembly process begins. All components consistent with your build sheet are staged and the proper machining, assembly and calibration of the product begins.
- Upon completion of all assembly, applicable components are individually tested on their respective machinery to ensure proper function and integrity, specifically hydraulics and electronics.
- At this point, final assembly begins. All pre-assembled internal components are then completed within the case, tested and forwarded to quality assurance.
- Prior to leaving our facility, a separate team member then inspects the final product, ensuring that the product matched the build sheet, and finishing touches like sensors or pan bolts are retorqued to assure future success for our product.
- At this point, the completed transmission is crated, the logistics of delivering your product are coordinated, and the item will proceed to shipping to prepare for embark to it’s new home.
- Upon completion of the 9 previous steps, you will receive notification of the product’s completion, passage of our quality control measures, and tracking information once applicable!
Xtreme Tow 68RFE Build Specifications:
- Billet Lockup Apply Piston
- Custom Clutch and Steel Stack-Ups w/ Added Clutches
- Billet OD/Reverse Plate
- Billet Turbine Hub
- Billet CNC Machined Stator
- Billet Torque Converter Cover
- Billet Multi-Disk Lockup Mechanism
- Steel SFI Approved Flexplate
- Cryogenically Hardened OD Hub Assembly
- Custom 2nd Clutch Apply Piston
- Molded Apply Piston Kit
- Custom Double-Sided Converter Clutch
- Billet Accumulator Piston Set
- Billet “Formula One” Channel Plate
- Recalibrated Accumulator Spring Set
- Self Cleaning Low/Reverse Switch Valve
- Steel CNC Ground Solenoid Switch Valve
- Billet “Formula One” L/R Sprag
- Precision Machined SSV Bore
- Precision Flattened Valve Body Mating Surfaces
- Precision Flattened Oil Pump Mating Surfaces
- Steel Laser-Cut Separator Plate w/ Custom Oil Circuitry
- Steel Accumulator Girdle
- Extra Thick OD Snapring Update
- Central Pump Gear Bushing
- Billet Torque Converter Limit Valve Sleeve
- Polished Pump Separator Plate
- Recalibrated Pump Accumulator Piston Springs
- Next Gen Proprietary Drainback Circuit Modification
- FIFTEEN clutches in OD - a 25% increase!
- 33% Added Friction Area in 2C
- 33% Added Friction Area in 4C
- High Energy Low/Reverse Clutches
- High Energy Reverse Clutches
- High Energy Underdrive Clutches
- Extra Deep Transmission Pan
- OEM Torrington Roller Bearing Kit
- (2) OEM Speed Sensors
- OEM Pressure Transducer
- OEM Solenoid Pack
- OEM Paper/Rubber Gasket & Seal Kit
- OEM Sump Filter
- Billet Spin-On Filter Adapter
- OEM Spin-On Filter
Despite it’s many shortcomings, the 68RFE does have the ability to succeed and prosper. We believe that our Xtreme Tow built 68RFE transmission is the best option available for someone who seeks a long-lasting, heavy duty unit that doesn’t break the bank. For more assistance, ask one of our experts!