Project Carbon™ 68RFE Billet Triple Disc Torque Converter
Meet our heavily armored and long-lasting Project Carbon™ Billet Triple Disk Torque Converter for the 68RFE. The unreliable and heat-prone factory torque converter absolutely robs this truck of power; an especially disappointing ailment for trucks whose emissions components have been removed. Massive gains in low end pulling power and driving dynamics can be achieved with this simple drop-in upgrade.
The torque converter generates about 70% of the heat in the transmission, and is a critical “make it or break it” component for any transmission build. This is our most comprehensive, capable and durable solution, befitting absolutely any application. For those seeking more information on the 68RFE torque converter and why it fails, try reading our useful Transmissions 101 article on this transmission:
>>> Transmissions 101: 68RFE Transmission • Problems & Solutions
Note: An upgraded valve body is always recommended when running a modified torque converter to access the most of its potential and see the greatest lifespan possible. To see our valve body options, click here:
This unit is best for:
- Daily Driving
- Drag Racing/Sled Pulling
- Extreme Duty Commercial Use
- Stock to Extreme Power Increases
- Long-Lasting Clutch Materials
- Freeway Pulls/Boost Launches
- Firm but Predictable TCC Engagement
Our 10-Step Torque Converter Remanufacturing Process:
- The first step in our remanufacturing process is a complete and total disassembly and inspection of all internal components, including the pump, turbine, TCC, Stator, Sprag and Hubs.
- All wear components, such as bushings, bearings, washers, gaskets, seals, O-Rings, clutches, steels and more, are thrown away regardless of their health or usability, even if brand new.
- An intense cleaning session using the highest quality cleaning agents available to modern manufacturing ensues, steam tanking and hand cleaning these parts for up to 8 hours.
- We begin our inspection of the few remaining core hard parts to ensure that they are 100% re-usable, unworn and undamaged. Should a core part (such as a pump) be irreparably deficient or unusable, it is properly discarded and replaced with a brand new one.
- At this point, the assembly process begins. All components consistent with your build sheet are staged and the proper machining, assembly and calibration of the product begins.
- Upon completion of all assembly, applicable components are individually tested on their respective machinery to ensure proper function, balance and integrity, specifically hydraulics and electronics.
- At this point, final assembly begins. All pre-assembled internal components are then stacked, welded, balanced and tested one final time before being forwarded to quality assurance.
- Prior to leaving our facility, a separate team member then inspects the final product, ensuring that the product matched the build sheet, and finishing touches like deburring and weld marks are perfect and consistent with Next Gen standards.
- At this point, the completed Billet Torque Converter is boxed safely, and the logistics of delivering your product are coordinated, and the item will proceed to shipping to prepare for embark to it’s new home.
- Upon completion of the 9 previous steps, you will receive notification of the product’s completion, passage of our quality control measures, and tracking information once applicable!
Project Carbon™ 68RFE Billet Triple Disk Build Specifications:
- Billet Cover
- Chromoly Impeller Hub w/ Updated Seal
- Billet Lockup Clutch Apply Piston
- CNC Machined Stator
- Upgraded Sprag Retainer
- Billet Dampener Assembly w/ Redesigned Dampener
- Triple Disk Lockup Clutch Assembly
- Furnace Brazing of Impeller Fins
- OEM Replacement Seals
- OEM Replacement Bearings
As the 68RFE ages, the number of failing torque converters is only beginning to grow. It is critical that a solution encompassing years of understanding and testing is part of your transmission build, and our billet torque converters do just this. If you have remaining questions, we encourage you to call in and speak to one of our experts!