The 48RE Valve Body is known across the industry as one of the most problematic hydraulic valve systems in the automatic transmission world. Variations of this valve body have been in use since the 60’s in the 727 TorqueFlite platform; a logical sign that it would be trustworthy.
However, it simply is plagued by countless problems, including but not limited to internal crossleakage, valve seizure and governor pressure electronics failure. To get your eyes on this beautiful design, and see how it works, check out our In-Depth 47RE and 48RE Valve Body buyer’s guide below!
Note: The Billet UPG Upgrade adds the upgraded Allison style governor pressure sensor and high performance transducer, capable of higher return voltage; along with all necessary hardware for their proper installation. For those planning to run this valve body, these electronics are highly encouraged.
This unit is best for:
- Daily Driving
- Stock to High Power Increases
- Long-Lasting Clutch Materials
- Freeway Pulls and Street Racing
- Firm but Predictable Shifts
- An Upgrade to a Presently Healthy Transmission
Our 10-Step Valve Body and Pump Remanufacturing Process:
- The first step in our remanufacturing process is a complete and total disassembly and inspection of all internal components. This includes but is not limited to the valves, valve bores, oil circuitry and/or electronics.
- All wear components, such as washers, gaskets, seals, O-Rings, (some) valves and more, are thrown away regardless of their health or usability, even if brand new.
- An intense cleaning session using the highest quality cleaning agents available to modern manufacturing ensues, steam tanking and hand cleaning these parts for up to 8 hours.
- We begin our inspection of the few remaining core hard parts to ensure that they are 100% re-usable, unworn and undamaged. Should a core part (such as a case) be irreparably deficient or unusable, it is properly discarded and replaced with a brand new one.
- At this point, the assembly process begins. All components consistent with your build sheet are staged and the proper machining, assembly and calibration of the product begins.
- Upon completion of all assembly, aplicable components are individually tested on their respective machinery to ensure proper function and integrity, specifically hydraulics and electronics.
- At this point, final assembly begins. All pre-assembled internal components are then completely assembled, tested and forwarded to quality assurance.
- Prior to leaving our facility, a separate team member then inspects the final product, ensuring that the product matched the build sheet, and finishing touches like sensors or bolts are retorqued to assure future success for our product.
- At this point, the completed product is boxed, the logistics of delivering your product are coordinated, and the item will proceed to shipping to prepare for embark to it’s new home.
- Upon completion of the 9 previous steps, you will receive notification of the product’s completion, passage of our quality control measures, and tracking information once applicable!
48RE Project Carbon™ Valve Body Build Specifications:
- Custom Separator Plate w/ Modified Oil Circuitry
- Anodized Boost Valve Bracket
- Pressure Regulator Valve Shim Upgrade
- Modified PRV Spring System
- Custom Cut Solenoid Body Plate
- Quick-Fill Valve Spring for 3-4 Upshift
- Lower 1-2 Accumulator Spring (Adjusted Seat + Nose Pressure)
- Increased Throttle Valve Spring Pressure
- Direct Oiling of Converter even in Park
- New OEM Solenoid Set
- Governor Pressure Vent Machined Into Casting
- Updated “Bullet” Style Detent System
- New OEM Governor Pressure Gasket
- Steel CNC Ground Manual Valve
The 48RE Valve Body may be notorious for parasitic failures. But, with our Project Carbon™ 48RE Valve Body, these ailments quickly become things of the past. Whether you’re looking to upgrade a happy transmission, or you’d like to build your next race truck, we’ve got it covered. For more information, ask one of our experts!